[mythtvnz] bandwidth between a frontend and a backend

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 22:59:50 GMT 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 6:28 PM, Steven Ellis <steven at openmedia.co.nz> wrote:

> Steve Hodge wrote:
> > On Jan 31, 2008 4:20 PM, Craig Whitmore <lennon at orcon.net.nz
> > <mailto:lennon at orcon.net.nz>> wrote:
> >
> >     Anyone know how much bandwidth is used between a frontend and a
> >     backend? ie can I put the frontend on the end of a DSL connection?
> >

> > Look at your recording settings. If your recordings are taking 1GB per
> > hour then you need about 2300kpbs. Network overhead and MythTV
> > overhead need to be added to that. If you're recordings are 2GB per
> > hour then you need twice that. DSL might manage that. Probably you
> > should just try it.
> Freeview SD on DTH is generally around 3Gb/Hr or 6Mbit, which is too
> much for a DSL outbound pipe.
>
> If you are using down converted streams to around 1mbit you will still
> have issues on DSL

Have you tried it? I would think that a sustained 1000Kbps is well within
the capabilities of a DSL link on the frontend side. I haven't tried it but
I regularly download large files at speeds in excess of 3000Kbps (sometimes
as high as 5-6000Kbps). Obviously you wouldn't be able to use DSL on the
server side as the upload bandwidth is way too low.

Cheers,