[mythtvnz] Newbie hardware help

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Thu Jan 31 11:16:26 GMT 2008

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 00:01:05 Phill Coxon wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm a newbie looking to set up a MythTV box and would like some feedback
> & suggestions on hardware.

Hi, welcome.

> At this stage I'm thinking of building a new computer which will  be
> used mainly for MythTV but will also dual boot into Windows for family /
> friends to play games PC games now and then.

I'll take a bet that you'll want to keep it booted in Linux+MythTV more and
more :)

> We have Sky so I want to record output from the sky decoder and have an
> irblaster set up to control scheduling etc.

Should be fine. I've switched all the guys I've got Myth running for now to
the ir blaster that comes with the MS MCE remote, it seems to work fine.

> Here's what I'm thinking as far as hardware.  Would you please give me
> feedback and any suggestions - i.e.: certain motherboard chipsets to
> avoid etc.

Intel chips should just work.

> Intel E6750 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6GHZ CPU
> Gigabyte P35C-DS3R Motherboard
> 2Gb DDR2 800 RAM
> Western Digital 320GB 7200RPM Drive
> Albatron 8600GT-256XS Video Card
> Hauppauge Wintv PVR 150 MCE
> Microsoft MCE remote control
> Wireless keyboard & mouse
>
> I don't need a satellite card at the moment as I'm happy with Sky TV
> (unless there's a NASA TV feed available off the sky satellite?)
>
> Anything missing or anything that should be changed?
>
> Any suggestions / feedback would be appreciated.

You've got plenty of power for myth. You may need more disk eventually but
that'll keep you going for a bit.

The only suggestion I would make is to see if you can find a fanless video
card that fits in with your gaming requirements. It's nice to have the myth
box as quiet as possible if it's going to be on while you're watching TV.

I prefer Seagate drives but that's a personal thing obviously.

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz
VoIP, DVB and other Linux compatible hardware