[mythtvnz] High CPU usage decoding 720p

Jonathan Marshall jmarshallnz at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 28 22:47:01 GMT 2008

You could try building ffmpeg with the cabac patch which allows
threading of this portion of the decoding process.  It's not yet in
ffmpeg mainline, as there are possible issues with some types of
options (MBAFF I think - not sure if this will affect NZ freeview
transmissions)

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2007-September/035877.html

XBMC for linux includes this patch and it has dramatically sped up
playback of h264 material on multi-core processors.  You could even
try XBMC as a front-end to myth to see whether it makes a difference -
see xbmc.org for more details (disclaimer: I am a developer on XBMC).

Cheers,
Jonathan