[mythtvnz] DVB-T Cards Again

Johan Schuld johanschuld at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 10:04:54 GMT 2008

Hi All.

Well, I've been silently following the DVB-T discussions on this forum with
great interest. I was not really planning to buy any hardware soon
(financial advisor does not agree yet..). I recently bought myself a nice
40" flatscreen which is keeping me busy anyway... BUT....

Next week I'm heading to places like Honkong, Singapore and China
(Shenzhen), so... good opportunity to pick up some good deal hardware. So
i've been doing some research on which cards I should look out for. So now
i'm a bit confused..

Cards that i've listed (which all came up in this forum before):

DTV1000T
WinTV-NOVA-T-500
WinTV-HVR-1300 - Quite keen on this, seems ok supported, HW encoding MPEG2
WinTV-HVR-1000 - Hmm.. no HW encoding,
WinTV-HVR-3000 - If the price is ok..  seems to be supported but no HW
MPEG2??
winTV-HVR-4000 - Don't really see the point.  DVB-S2 but can't use it? no HW
MPEG2??

I'm keen on the HVR-1300 or HVR-3000 so I can get some channels off the D2
Sattelite. How easy it is to get those running under MythTV?

Now one thing that puzzles me is MPEG2 on DVB-T.  The freeview site mentions
that DVB-T in NZ uses MPEG-4. So how does that affect the cards? I can not
find any card listing MPEG-4 encoding. I don't quite see why the encoding is
needed on a digital stream, is it not received encoded en the card "simply"
dumps it on the drive?

Of course now I also need to upgrade my PC but that is a different story :).

Hope I did not ask any double questions,..

Cheers.  Johan.