[mythtvnz] Silent Frontend - Specs

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Tue Feb 19 01:09:04 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 19 February 2008 14:02:29 Ashley Kirk wrote:
> I was thinking either:
>
> http://www.procase.co.nz/VIA/EX15000.htm
>
> Which is NOT fanless.
>
> or
>
> http://www.procase.co.nz/VIA/EX10000.htm
>
> Which IS fanless...
>
> I was thinking of using a CompactFlash to IDE adaptor for the hard
> drive.Should I use Minimyth or Mythbuntu??  The EX150000 has DVI output so
> I can use the DVI to HDMI cable I already have to connect it to the 32inch
> SONY LCD.
>
> How does that sound?
>
> We really only need to do SD not HD, and it would be connected via 10/100
> LAN.
>
> The backend is a DualCore Athalon, about 4800+ I think. It is the current
> Front and Backend. 1 x Skysat DVB-S card at this stage...
>
> Would either of those boards be the go?

If it were me I'd use a NFS root from the backend box as your frontend depends
on that anyway and it requires purchasing less. Minimyth does this (or
ramdisk) but I found it to be a little unstable. I now use a minimal Ubuntu
installation via NFS root.

The VIA boards are pretty cool although they are a bit sluggish. You'll notice
it in the guide, starting watching a recording etc.

Also you'll want to check that the DVI drivers are supported before you rely
on using the DVI connector.

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz
VoIP, DVB and other Linux compatible hardware