[mythtvnz] help - very poor picture quality

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz
Thu Feb 7 09:12:08 GMT 2008

Mark van Dijk wrote:

> So far i've tried:
> 1) a new SVideo cable
> 2) dozens of different modifications to my xorg.conf
> 3) connected a video camcorder to my TV via SVideo (works perfectly)
>
> Any other suggestions?  If necessary, i'll buy another video card - any
> suggestions for cheap ones on TradeMe?  Also, am i correct in thinking
> that DeInterlacing should be OFF as my TV is interlaced?
>
> Cheers
> :-)

I'd suggest using 800x600 as the res to output to the TV, and turn on
Bob Deinterlacing (I know it sounds strange - but I found that gave me a
more stable and clearer picture - particularly with scrolling ticker
text on sports programs)

Also have you installed the proprietary nvidia drivers?

And check that the sharpness settings on the TV aren't too high.  With
my Nvidia 6200 I have a software setting for Digital Vibrance (from
memory) that worked similarly to sharpness on the TV, and it was best to
lower that setting to.

Failing all that and you do go for a video card, a 5200 or 6200 are
great.  Someone with more experience with the new OpenGL renderers may
have thoughts on newer cards.

  - Wade