[mythtvnz] PV-BT878P+ tv capture card. general questions

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 01:14:30 GMT 2008

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 11:20 AM, matthew pearce <pearce.mg at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Merry Christmas and a happy new year.
>
> I have found that I have a PV-BT878P+ lying around.
>
> Does anyone know if it works with mythtv and if it is an OK card to use.

Going by the name it's a bt878 based card. They're supported by Linux and
work fine in MythTV - I used to use one myself. But it's a "dumb" capture
card - it won't do mpeg encoding. That means the CPU will have to do it. So
you'll need a reasonably powerful CPU. Any desktop CPU from the last few
years will be fine, but a low-power CPU might not be.

Most people go for cards with hardware mpeg encoders like the Haupaugge
PVR150s. These cards reduce the CPU requirements to almost nothing. But the
card you've got will be fine for trying MythTV out.

Cheers,