[mythtvnz] vdpau patch updates

Michael Dilger mike at mikedilger.com
Fri Dec 5 04:08:08 GMT 2008

There have been a few changes to mplayer and ffmpeg libraries since
VDPAU was released, such that the original patches don't apply cleanly
anymore.

I've imported the sources into git, and with a lot of test compiles,
bisecting, merge conflict resolution, and patch scanning, I've found
each place where things got changed, and fixed each.  At the end of it
all, I have a new vdpau git branch which is merged with the master
branches from Dec 4 (mplayer r28082 and ffmpeg r16001).   I'm not
serving git so you can't pull from me (my ISP charges per megabyte).
But I am posting updated patches, which apply directly to the SVN sources:

    http://www.mikedilger.com/nvidia/mplayer-r28082-vdpau.patch
    http://www.mikedilger.com/nvidia/ffmpeg-r16001-vdpau.patch

The gentoo ebuild I posted in an earlier mail does NOT work properly (it
fails to get the header files installed, among other things).  You will
need to install the 180.06 driver via nVidia's installation script
(yuck!).  I know that trashes the system's ability to track which
package owns which file, but at least all the file changes get stored
into /var/log/nvidia/log so you can see about how to clean it up
afterwards manually.   I haven't taken the time to try to fix the ebuild
yet, I fear it will not be easy.

-Mike

NOTES:
  1) On Sep 9, mplayer and ffmpeg changed over to libavcodec major
version 52.   bits_per_sample changes to bits_per_coded_sample.
  2) On Sep 16, ffmpeg starts to move to the newer x264 library, by
changing b_bframe_adaptive to i_bframe_adaptive.   If your only x264
library choices are 20080819 or 20081006, then this doesn't get worked
out until October 3, when you can finally get things compiling again.
  3) After Oct 3 (ffmpeg r15523), your system x264 library needs to be
version 20081006 (20080819 will no longer work).  The reverse is also
true (you can't compile the older revisions with a newer x264
library).   If you get errors surrounding b_bidir_me or b_bframe_rdo,
this is why.
  4) On Dec 4 (mplayer r28080), the build system changed to cause this
kind of compile error with the old patches:  "undefined reference
video_out_vdpau"