[mythtvnz] CPU required for Freeview HD

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 01:37:35 BST 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 6:57 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> One option might be to use MythTV to do the recordings, then run a script
>>> to move the recorded file to mythvideo, complete with metadata, and set
>>> mplayer as your mythvideo player.
>>>

>> Or just set Myth to transcode the recordings to something more CPU
>> friendly.
>>

> doesn't that assume the transcoding program can decode the stream anyway?
> and its likely to be pretty cpu intensive task in itself.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the transcode daemon to be able to
handle the stream if MythTV's player can (which it can - just not fast
enough).

Of course it will be CPU intensive, but it doesn't need to be real time. So
it doesn't matter if it takes 2 hours to transcode a 1 hour program.

Cheers,