[mythtvnz] CPU required for Freeview HD

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Wed Aug 20 05:45:29 BST 2008

> The H264 decode flatlines all OSs if done in software due to the
> complexity of the decode when dealing with our broadcast streams.
>
> I've compared Linux and Mac software decode on the same hardware,
> EyeTV vs MPlayer, and they appear to use similar amounts of CPU.
>
> The best windows codec for software decode is CoreAVC which is a
> proprietary commercial codec.
>
> Until we get a way to accelerate some of the decode on the GPU we are
> going to lag behind Windows users who have hardware accelerated decode
> via the main graphics card vendors.
>
> As to STBs, as mentioned they have chips designed to accelerate the
> decode in hardware. If you have had a play with the Zinwell STB you
> would notice that it can get very hot due to the load.
>
> Steve

So if all the work is done in the CPU, would a mother board such as the
"Asus M2A-VM HDMI Motherboard" with an ATI embedded video controller do
the job or is it still better to spend another $40 or so and use an nvidia
based board such as the "Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI Motherboard".

In either case, what would be the minimum spec CPU required (assuming
these m/b will support the required speed that is!!) to handle both TV1
and TV3 HD?

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks