[mythtvnz] hardware recommendations for dedicated box

Nick & Ann Read nick.read at engineer.com
Tue Aug 19 08:44:23 BST 2008

Stephen Worthington wrote:
> I would wonder about the quality of the audio from an amplifier inside
> a PC.  There is a *lot* of interference inside a PC for audio signals.
> Personally, I have the SP/DIF output from my audio card connected to
> my CD player which has digital inputs and acts as a DAC too.  It feeds
> my audio pre-amp and from there to my class A amp.  But I only do
> stereo, not 5.1 or 7.1, and I can't stand to listen to crappy sound.

Surely the highest risk of interferene is when the signal level is low,
compared to the interference, ie the signal before it is amplified, as
it comes from the motherboard audio circuitry. If they can protect it
adequately on the motherboard I don't see why they can't protect it well
enough in the pre-amp stage on an amp board (or any stage after that,
come to that).