[mythtvnz] Quality of WinTV PVR 150

David Zanetti dave2 at wetstring.net
Sat Aug 16 00:01:11 BST 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 22:21 +1200, Steve Hodge wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 9:48 PM, Tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz>
> wrote:
>         I would agree with you in terms of "require", however what I
>         said was "pressure", which is not quite the same.  Regardless
>         I would observe with a quick look on trademe that plenty of
>         (analogue) TV's are being upgraded, supporting my proposition
>         of "pressure" (being realised).
>

> I think you have to do a lot more than point to 2nd hand TV sales to
> support the contention that the analogue switchoff is pressuring
> people to upgrade. Has there been a significant upswing in TV sales
> since Freeview and Sky HD were launched (which would indicate pressure
> to upgrade)? I doubt it. Most of these people are upgrading 29" or
> smaller TVs to 42" or larger flat screens. My perception is that the
> low prices for larger sizes is far more of a driver than digital TV.

Prior to the launch of Freeview|HD I would have agreed with you. But
while I was lurking around the shop buying my HD panel, I noticed
*every* person there was talking about Freeview - the customers not the
sales people. With HD Olympics on most of the panels, and obviously the
early adopters having seeded some experience of it, it seemed like a ton
of people were buying panels for HD broadcast content.

DVB-S was always a problem because it required a dish, and maybe there
was this belief it was something other than a 'Sky' disk they already
had. Now you only need to use your existing antenna on your roof, it
seems like there's much more interest.

--
David Zanetti <dave2 at wetstring.net>
http://hairy.geek.nz/