[mythtvnz] Debugging epgsnoop problem.

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 00:44:22 BST 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 11:31 AM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:

> > On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Me and epgsnoop - we do have problems!!
> >>
> >> The latest one may be related to updating to python-2.5. epgsnoop (after
> >> re-install just in case!!) errors as follows:
> >>
> >> Traceback (most recent call last):
> >>  File "/usr/local/bin/epgsnoop", line 167, in <module>
> >>    print output(channels, programs)
> >> UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode characters in position
> >> 302228-302268: ordinal not in range(128)
> >>

> > I was having the same issue. I fixed it by changing the 4th to last line
> > in
> > outputter.py to:
> >
> > return '\n'.join(output).decode('iso-8859-1',replace)
> >
> > and removing the
> >
> > ... .decode('latin-1)
> >
> > statements from the name and description sections in snooper.py.
>
> Not sure how I got my current version of epgsnoop (latest date in all the
> files is 4th March)  but it already has these changes in it :-(
>
> Since the only thing I'm aware of that has changed is the version of
> python (now at version 2.5.2), I assume its something there...

Hmm.  2.5.2 is what I'm using with the version of epgsnoop I grabbed from
BZR last Wednesday. I tried the 0.88 release and it didn't have any
character encoding issues but it doesn't do the "All New" name substitution
properly so I upgraded to the BZR version. Modifying that version to revert
the character encoding stuff fixed my issue. I suspect our problems are not
the same after all.

Cheers,