[mythtvnz] Freeview in SD?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 06:57:13 BST 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 5:45 PM, Jason Haar
<jhaar-ourshack-com at whanau.org> wrote:
> Wade Maxfield wrote:
>>
>> The VIA MPEG2 acceleration only works for video up to around 1024x768
>> from memory (or something similar - definitely not HD).  So you'd have
>> to scale the frame size while transcoding. In which case it might be
>> better to just record the SD version.
>>

> ..except you can't? (as far as I know)
>
> I mean, if you have a DVB-T card, then you can only receive HD - right?
>
> I'm certainly under the impression I'd need a satellite dish and a DVB-S
> card if I wanted "direct" SD digital.
>
> Please tell me I'm wrong :-)
>
> Jason

Basically YES.

Although refer to my post earlier - not all the DVB-T channels ARE
actually HD, just 1/2/3. The rest are SD, but h264 encoded (so no VIA
MPEG accel will help).

Dishes and DVB-S cards are not hugely expensive. Many many houses have
a sky dish these days, just plug straight into it, if you want to
share with a sky box use a splitter.