[mythtvnz] DTT testing - Wellington

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Sun Apr 27 12:19:33 BST 2008

On Sun, April 27, 2008 10:45 pm, Michael Dilger wrote:
> Douglas Pearless wrote:
>> Well, I have my Hauppauge Nova T 500 working, and mythfrontend
>> occasionally crashes with a segment fault.
>>
>> My processor is way underpowered (Celeron D running at 2.85GHz with
>> 512MB or RAM!) so it is very jerky.
>>
>> I have not sound, as I understand the NZ setp is a bit different...
>>
>> I tried the weekly mythbuntu builds, but that completely broke my
>> installation so I gave up and re-installed from scratch (mythbuntu
>> 8.04).
>>
>> Does anyone have mythtv working properly with DVB-T (preferably with a
>> Nova T 500)?
>>
>> Cheers Douglas
>>
> I have MythTV 0.21, and a Nova T 500, but I can't say that they are
> working well together yet.  Yes, I can scan for and find the channels.
> And I can flip to them.  But more often than not the video stream
> crashes mythfrontend.  And when it doesn't, it pauses for 500ms then
> plays for 500ms in a slow perpetual stutter cycle.
>
> Even mplayer svn trunk is not quite working with DTT video sources here
> in NZ, so I don't expect MythTV to be ready until the libraries it
> depends upon get updated.   "mplayer -vo xv -mc 5 -vf pp=fd -vfm ffmpeg
> -lavdopts skiploopfilter=all:fast -framedrop dvb://${CHANNEL}" works
> about 30% of the time, but 70% of the time the video gets stuck on the
> first frame, gets tremendously out of sync with the audio, and
> eventually the audio breaks up and it crashes sometime thereafter.   So
> I use the old fashioned method, called "try again", until the stream
> comes through clean.. after which it seems to play for as long as I care
> to watch that one channel.

Yeah know HE-AAC isssues mostly

> As far as I can tell, most of my problems (mplayer crashing) are in
> libfaad2.  I can gdb step right to the problem (a null pointer) but
> don't know the code well enough to write a patch.   I posted on the
> mplayer developer list, and all I got back was the sound of crickets.
> And apparently from the webpage, libfaad2 (www.audiocoding.com) hasn't
> been updated in a while.

Post some samples to the MPlayer mailing list, in particular Nico did most
of the work on LATM encapsulated HE-AAC

> So I don't have a hell of a lot of hope for anything more useful in the
> near future.  And I disabled the DTT channels in MythTV;  easier to just
> stick with the analog ones for now, and watch DTT with mplayer directly..

Define "near". With DTH we were using mature technology. Stable DTT is
probably 6-9 months away from being useful and possible 12-18 months from
being "consumer ready" unless we get some major breakthroughs.

In real terms 18 months is still near..

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz