[mythtvnz] Cause of occasional audio/video jumps in

Johan Schuld johanschuld at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 22:40:10 BST 2008

Hi,

I've upgraded to 0.21 about 2 weeks ago as well, and also had playback
issues. I had 2 issues with video playback.

1: The OSD was really crappy or
2: Stuttering/Jumping of playback.

In the mythfrontend setup, go to TV Settings and playback. in 0.21 there is
are some new fields for the playback profile. From what I can see, you can
use different settings (or players) depending on the resolution of the
material you want to play. I've played around with these but could not get a
good result. What I did in the end is create a new profile, and with only
one entry which covers all resolutions. No problems anymore since then.

Sadly I can't give you the exact settings, as yesterday my HD decided it had
enough and now only makes "krrr.... krrr... " noises.

Cheers,
Johan.

>I also did the same upgrade about 2-3 weeks ago.  From the moment I did
>the upgrade, I have noticed that the audio & video occasionally stutter
>and get out of sync.  The effect is quite minor, and is pretty easy to
>ignore, however it definitely wasn't there before I did the upgrade.

>My tuner is a Hauppague PVR500 (if that makes any difference).

>There are two aspects to the issues:
>1) very slight stutter/jump of audio and video every few seconds.  Most
>of the time this is almost imperceptable, however occasionally it gets
>quite noticable.
>2) the audio drifts slightly in and out of sync over a period of about
>30 seconds.  Again, quite mild.

I haven't actually looked at this issue at all or tried to fix anything
as it hasn't really been bothering me too much.

--
Mark