[mythtvnz] Xorg and lcd tv's

feadog feadog at orcon.net.nz
Mon Apr 14 01:40:36 BST 2008

Hi All,

The old sony crt tv has died gracefully - thankfully I will now be able to
replace it with a LCD one.

I am a bit worried about the LCD TV's resolution of 1366x768 and how it will
be handled by Xorg and thus Mythtv frontend (a laptop with intel 945 graphics
and alternatively a desktop with nvidia 6200 video)

The TV will mostly be used as a monitor, so it is paramount that it be run at
native resolution. I run Debian unstable on both the backend and frontends.

There are a number of 32" TVs available in NZ at a reasonable price;

Acer AT3220B 32" LCD TV   $ 909 inc. GST - $129 cashback until 30 Apr
VIEWSONIC 3240WB           $ 900 inc. GST
SONY BRAVIA KLV32U300A $ 1089 inc. GST

Does anyone on the list care to comment on the suitability on any of the above
TV's? (all 1366x768) Would I be better to purchase another brand for better
compatibility? Will I have overscan or overscan problems?

Thanks,
Noel Sheridan