[mythtvnz] Update on DTT Debugging at mythtv.co.nz

Michael Dilger mike at mikedilger.com
Fri Apr 11 03:58:59 BST 2008

Steven Ellis wrote:
> Just posted a quick update on the DTV and Linux and the DTT Debugging
> pages at http://www.mythtv.co.nz.

nicely.
> There are also some additional tips on DTT playback.

You might want to add a suggestion for skiploopfilter=$SOMETHING to the
lavdopts, as the filtering step is usually the most processor intensive
part of H.264 decoding.   It will leave things blocky, but at least when
performance is taxed the video will keep playing and usually stay in
sync.  That's better than having it jam up and crash out.
> Michael - Can you send me some more details on your setup

OS    Gentoo  2.6.24
CPU    AMD AthlonXP 3200+
RAM    1 GB
Graphics    nVidia 6600

576i   artifacts, usually of the motion prediction blocky kind.

720p   If I dumpstream and play it back, it is clean, no artifacts,
looks wonderful.  But I can't play it real-time from the dvb:// device
because of performance reasons (decoding is too intensive, and input
buffers overflow)

1080i   sometimes it plays cleanly, even in real time, for a while, but
usually it freezes on one frame and spills buffers onto my livingroom
carpet.

Radio   Yes, perfectly.