[mythtvnz] Headaches with .gnomerc and .initrc in Ubuntu

Matt Poff matt.poff at headfirst.co.nz
Mon Apr 7 07:57:03 BST 2008

Hey all, I've got into trouble altering some init settings on my Myth
box in order to get NVIDIA overscan settings to stick. Since upgrading
to Ubuntu Gutsy I've noticed a lot of cut-off around the edges of my
desktop on my CRT TV display. Not sure why this has only become a
problem now but after extensive Googling I fixed it by scaling back the
Overscan settings in the nvidia-settings GUI app.

In order to get these settings to stick, it was recommended to add the
following lines to .initrc in the Myth users home directory:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
/usr/bin/nvidia-settings -l &
exec gnome-session

... and create a symlink with the .xsession file in the same directory

ln -s ~/.xinitrc ~/.xsession

I did this and it worked but it also kills my Myth startup commands
stored in .gnomerc. These take care of starting MythWelcome and look
like this:

sleep 20
exec mythwelcome
exec /usr/bin/mtd --daemon
mythfrontend stop

Basically, with the initrc commands enabled, the autostart of Myth
doesn't. Moving these commands into the tail of the initrc file just
kills the login process.

What's the best approach to get these working? As I understand it, the
NVIDIA settings loading has to happen before the window manager init
scripts run but why is this killing the .gnomerc script?

Grateful for any tips here.

Cheers,
Matt