[mythtvnz] Hauppauge HVR4000 - Sat + Analog working.

Daniel Williams daniel.williams at orcon.net.nz
Sun Sep 30 06:12:25 BST 2007

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would fill you in on my success on getting my HVR4000
working with both satellite, and analog at the same time.

There appears to be a bug in the drivers, so it doesn't initialise quite
right.  The Sat side of the world works, but the analog wouldn't.
To fix I run the following commands
  rmmod cx88-dvb
  rmmod cx88-alsa cx8800 cx8802
  sleep 5;
  modprobe cx88-dvb;
  sleep 2;
  modprobe cx8800
  modprobe cx88-alsa
  sleep 2

After that, both the Sat and the Analog will both tune.  I've added to
my mythbackend startup script to ensure it runs before myth starts.

General Comments:
Card co-exists fine with a Skystar 2, and a SAA7134 based card (software
capture).
Having the system capture 4 channels at once (2 HW mpeg, 2 Software
Mpeg4) leaves about 15% CPU idle on an AMD Sempron 3300+.

So far haven't noticed a difference in quality between the Skystar 2,
and the HVR4000, but have noticed that the HVR4000 seems to tune a
fraction faster.
One small downside, the HVR4000 doesn't report the SNR (Does report the
Signal strength though), but no big deal for me.

Will update the list when DVB-T starts broadcasting in Christchurch if I
get the DVB-T working.

Tech Details:
Fedore Core 4 - 2.6.16-1.2115_FC4 (yep it's old - but as I had an uptime
of > 250 days before adding the HVR4000, I don't feel the need to update)
I used the following updated drivers:
http://linuxtv.org/hg/~stoth/hvr4000/rev/ce31158b75ae
Purely downloaded the tarball, extracted, compiled (make), installed
(make install).
Grabbed the firmware needed from the driver according to the
instructions (in linux/driver/media/dvb/frontends/cx24116.c)
wget ftp://167.206.143.11/outgoing/Oxford/88x_2_117_24275_1_INF.zip
unzip
and then dd if=hcw88bda.sys of=dvb-fe-cx24116.fw skip=81768 bs=1
count=32522
and place the generated file dvb-fe-cx24116.fw into /lib/firmware (
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/  on other distros)
Rebooted the system.
Sat works..
perform the rmmod/modprobes detailed above
Both Sat and Analogue works. 8-)

Hope this helps those that already have a HVR4000

Daniel