[mythtvnz] OT: Cat5e sharing phone and audio - any issues? (Lexcom question for Noel)

Matt Poff mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sat Sep 22 23:06:06 BST 2007

Ok, so I've been looking into the Lexcom product line and it looks
pretty versatile which is great as I'm basically just wanting to get
cables into the walls and worry about what they will carry later. The
only thing I'm unsure about is using the cable for speaker wiring.
There's a UK company which has developed an audio distribution
technology using Lexcom cable (check out
http://www.ibn-01.com/intelligenthome) but it uses  proprietary inbuilt
active speaker units.

All I want is the option to patch the Lexcom wiring I'll use for
data/phone/TV for speaker cable so I can use it as a speaker cable run
as well. There doesn't seem to be any kind of module for doing this in
the Lexcom range, is it just a simple matter of by-passing the hub and
just connecting two outlet cables together directly to form the cable link?

If I use it this way,do you think the  Lexcom cable sufficiently
shielded so that if two cables are run in parallel, with one carrying
data and the other audio output that no interference on the data line
will occur. Generally you're not supposed to run data and audio signals
in parallel right?

Also I see the installation instructions for the Lexcom cable specify a
minimum run of  8Metres so as to not overload circuits in their hub
comms modules. I guess this didn't effect you as you're not using their
hub gear but do you think this is necessary (adds a lot of extra length
to my cable requirements)?

Hope you can help and cheers for the lead on this stuff!

Matt