[mythtvnz] Multiple recordings from the same multiplex

Sam Hadley-Jones mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 11 Sep 2007 09:18:12 +1200

Hi guys,

One of the reason I bought my second skystar 2 card was so that I could
record any number of channels (on freeview) at the same time. MythTV
currently doesn't allow you to do this but there is a separate branch
of mythtv on the svn server called multirec. I downloaded and built it
last week but it wasn't very stable. Has anyone else had success with
the multirec branch?

I also got VLC set up as a streaming server - splitting all channels on
both multiplexes and pushing UDP streams to the backend. It worked well
except that VLC used 15% CPU time per CPU on my dual core amd64 4000+
regardless of how many channels are being watched or recorded. I
understand that this is because VLC is constantly converting the
streams with no control. MythTV doesn't request the streams - the
backend simply starts listening on a UDP port when it wants a channel
feed. Would this work better with an HTTP stream instead? I know there
would be more overheads for HTTP and TCP but would this then allow VLC
to determine when a stream is not needed and give my CPUs back some
sleep cycles? Does MythTV support HTTP streams?

Cheers,

Sam.