[mythtvnz] How feasible is this...?

Steve Lang steve.lang at spl.co.nz
Thu Oct 25 10:48:45 BST 2007

Hiya.
> >From what I am read what you are trying to do is take each channel and send
> it out for other in real time to say STB's or other clients such as windows
> media player.

Yeah, effectively. With the add-on that the disk fills up, and you have
however much stored as you can fit. Youv'e got until it fills up (be
that 12, 24 or 48 hours) to arhive off/transcode to another store etc.

As for players, first requirement is to serve up using upnp (moderately
functional....) or even samba as my media player can read
both.Ultimately, to be able to serve to either a hauppauge mvp (possibly
not upnp...) or one of those little networked media players in teh range
of $200 or so. I'm not likely to be putting MCE (or other) in every room...
> You can use VLC for this..
> DVB input -> VLC -> output as multicast or unicast streams to clients

Indeed. Have read about ways to plug vlc into twonkyvision (think it was
twonky) enabling non-tuner enabled neworked (upnp) media players to
display 'near live' TV.
> I have used this set up quite a number of times for streaming DVB-S
> channels -> Multi Receivers over the Internet with over 100+ simultaneous
> clients.

Wonder if I can get the manufacturers to put in a vlc client? Don't
think it would happen unfortunately, but would be great...
> Of if you want to "Pay" for it all you can use windows media server on 2003
> and windows media encoder (Haven't tried DVB-S Cards with encoder but there
> will be a way I think of using them)

Nah man, don't want to do the ms thing... No need to resort to that yet.

Thanx for (all) your suggestion(s).

Cheers -