[mythtvnz] Skystar 2 cards

sam at samborambo.ws sam at samborambo.ws
Mon Oct 22 21:07:56 BST 2007

Like I've said before, those Twinhan cards aren't worth the money (and they
usually go for around $100). The high phase noise and/or poor sensitivity
means you'll need a bigger dish to get the same performance as a Technisat
or Technotrend card. Stick to what's proven and popular.

That said, there is active work on the SAA716x based (7160, 7161, 7162)
PCI-E cards at the moment (the PCI-E ones on trademe are based on the same
chip family). Philips have a closed source linux driver (kernel specific)
but a couple of developers are working on an open source version under an
NDA. Check out the LinuxTV website for more details. There will be a lot of
interest in this driver since PCI-E and the SAA716x chipset is the way that
most DVB cards are going these days. It will also open the way for multiple
dvb tuners on one PCI-E card being supported.

Sam.