[mythtvnz] Australian services on Optus D1 and MythTV

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Sun Oct 21 23:01:57 BST 2007

Now a word of warning, you will need a dual output LNB if you have a Sky
STB as these AU services are Vertical.

It appears some of the Australian services on Optus D1 have moved to
dual focus Vertical beams, which means they can be picked up in NZ, for
details see http://lyngsat.com/optusd1.html.

First - *12637 V* 5100 3/4

This will give you Southern Cross Central (ch7) and Taima Radio. Now
this is used as a back fill feed for their terrestrial sites, so
sometimes it gets switched to versions of CH 10 for a couple of hours.
Also watch out if you do a channel scan as sometimes the multiplex
details get loaded out of the stream. The actual stream details contain
settings for a DVB-T style transmission which screws up the
dtv_multiplex table. Hence if tuning breaks you need to go in and fix
the dtv_multiplex entry.

Second - *12643 V 6874 3/4
*
This  transponder has some Indigenous TV stations. Can't currently tune
in on MythTV as the PIDs are hidden. Myth uses a master ServiceID to
look up the A/V PIDs associated with a DVB broadcast. There aren't any
SIDs on this transponder. If anyone has some tips on how to get this
working I'd be very interested. I have a feeling it is going to take a
code patch for this one. I started a thread on MythTV Users -
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/295007 - but no

A tip on video sources and DVB

If you just have a single LNB setup you can't normally assign multiple
video sources to the same LNB. What you can do is delete the LNB, add a
Diseqc switch and then add back just a single LNB with the same LNB
settings. When you try to assign video sources to devices you will find
that you can assign multiple sources to the same LNB. Hence I have a
different VideoSource for the AU channels from the freeview ones.

Second tip on AU EPG sources

The AU channels only provide now/next data over EIT. I used
tv_grab_au_reg -
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~willu/xmltv/tv_grab_au_reg.html - to grab
the CH7 EPG data. Just remember that the channel isn't always active so
you might miss the occasional show.

I'll try to turn this into a guide over the next couple of days, so
feedback appreciated.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz