[mythtvnz] POLL: Disk space

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Oct 12 14:29:50 BST 2007

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 20:06:21 +1300 (NZDT), you wrote:

>How much disk space is in your backend machine and allocated to recordings
>storage?
>
>I have a 250 Gb drive, and a 120 Gb drive for exported recordings.
>OS is on a separate 40 Gb drive, all PATA IDE.

I started with 2 x 500 GB SATA drives.  System is 5 GB, and the rest
is JFS for Myth.  It filled up, so I added a 1 TB SATA drive a few
days ago and moved my /myth/video to there, so now there is 22% free
for recordings again.  I am not allocating any of the TB drive for
recordings yet - I want to keep most of it free so that I can
reorganise to use the new Storage Groups feature that should be in
21.0.  I can be recording 4 channels at once at times (and doing
commercial scanning on them at the same time), so being able to make
sure that the disk load is spread around all drives is a really good
idea.  I also have around 220 GiB in programs that I recorded on the
basis that I might find them interesting, and I have all that set to
auto expire if necessary.

I really ought to get around to transcoding everything, as I am taking
up around 3.7 GiB per hour of recording.  But the last time I tried
with the default settings the results were not very good - noticeable
digital artifacts.  What I really want to be able to do is to
transcode to 2 or 3 pass H.264/AAC format.  That should be able to
give excellent results at about 1000 kbit/s.  But I never seem to find
enough free time to get it working, so if anyone is having good
results from transcoding, please share how you are doing it.