[mythtvnz] Listings 1hour out of whack

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 19:26:17 BST 2007

On 10/10/07, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 21:03:51 +1300, you wrote:
>
> >Stephen Worthington wrote:
> >> In the end, I waited for the official package update.  I could have
> >> downloaded the source files, once I had worked out what and where they
> >> were.  But since the package update was promised for a few days later
> >> I did not bother.  But I do not like to be dependent on someone out
> >> there preparing packages in a timely manner.  I like to be able to do
> >> it myself.  And all of this seems overkill compared to a TZ string,
> >> which used to work fine for me.  I am sure there were reasons for
> >> doing all of this, but the big problem I had was the usual one with
> >> Linux - the detailed documentation is there, once you find it, but the
> >> things that get you to finding it are usually either completely
> >> missing or sadly lacking.  I should be able to just look up the master
> >> help system and find a pointer to the timezone settings immediately.
> >>
> >So which distro were you waiting for?
> >
> >All of the distro's were kept waiting because of the size of NZ, and for
> >Debian the fixes are still only in Debian-volatile which is a real
> >problem. AU has a change in April and it will be interesting to see if
> >they react quicker for a bigger country.
> >
> >Steve
>
> If the maintainers are committed to the timezone system they have at
> present, then they have to ensure that the timezone updates are done
> as soon as the new daylight saving setups become law.  Our changes
> were officially announced on 30-Apr-07.  Instead, they seem to wait
> until there is little time left, perhaps thinking that there might be
> further changes.  So there ends up being little leeway for any of the
> inevitable problems to be worked out.  Microsoft seems to be just as
> bad - at work the IT people had real problems ensuring that the server
> end of things worked properly, and they really only had less than a
> month to work on it.  I doubt it will be any better for AU changes,
> unless the Aussies do it for themselves.

I agree that the maintainers should have fixed it, as indeed they did if you
read the bug report pointed to by the later poster. Apparently debian's
volatile repo is meant for volatile data like tzdata, and thats where you
get it. Its well known that debian stable doesn't get changed except for
security fixes.

But this isn't the place to discuss it, i doubt you will change debian
policy by discussing it here.

Also there have been fixes floating around various NZ Linux mailing lists
for months. They worked for me.