[mythtvnz] Adding a HDD with existing myth directories

Corrin Lakeland lakeland at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 02:50:46 GMT 2007

I personally would do it a little differently:

Build the new one - test it and make sure it is all good.  Make sure
you set it up with recordings on an LVM partition
Copy all recordings across
Export and import the recordings database
Check the new one works perfectly with the recordings

Once everything is perfectly happy with the new box, then move the
hard drive out of the old machine and into the new machine
format the old hard drive as LVM
vgextend the LVM partition with recordings on
resize the filesystem

Difference in my approach is that:
	1) You have slightly more hassle in the initial setup of the new
machine (have to use LVM)
	2) You have a very slightly safer transition - at all points you
have at least one copy of mythtv running with all recordings
	3) You get more space for recordings (size of the new drive + the
size of the old drive)
	4) You have slightly higher risk of data loss long term (a LVM hard
drive failing will lose all files in the group).
	5) You have a conceptually simpler result (a single huge directory
for recordings rather than two medium-sized directories)

I guess go with whichever appeals more :)

Corrin