[mythtvnz] Test DVB-T in Wellington up

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 08:08:57 GMT 2007

On Nov 11, 2007 11:10 AM, Steven Ellis <steven at openmedia.co.nz> wrote:
> Kenneth Dixon wrote:
> > Rumor has it that the DVB-T signal is testing in Wellington:
> > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=34&TopicId=17036
> > I don't have a terrestrial tuner yet, but a friend of mine
> > confirms audio but cant get video going yet.
> >

> Managed to get hold of a tvone h264 stream. Specs don't match their
> announcements as it is 1080i25 rather than 720p50 so I have feeling they
> are just trialling a lot of different encoding rates.
>
> I do have a problem playing the stream as my builds of mplayer and vlc
> don't like it due to PAFF interlacing. Currently using MPlayer 1.0RC2.
>
> Anyone on list had any better luck making a PAFF compliant build of mplayer?
>
> Steve

yes, and it is kinda decoding a test BBC stream that I have. if
someone wants to make available a NZ stream, i am happy to test that.

I finally got my sabayon (a type of gentoo derivative) to compile a
mplayer-svn today. The stream i was decoding (from BBC) is 1920x1080
and my computer doesn't really have the guts to decode it, BUT mplayer
has now got rid of the PAFF interlacing errors which precluded any
decoding at all.

So now I get a very jerky looking playback, with the right approx 1/4
of the picture in pink, and after a while I get;

h264 @ 0x8808430]Interlaced pictures + spatial direct mode is not implemented

for many lines, although decoding and display continues (such as it is).

Oh and no sound comes out, complains that there is no audio, although
ffmpeg (not svn) thinks there is.

As I say, if someone wants to send me a NZ test file I will test it
with mplayer svn.