[mythtvnz] HD DVB-T tuner card recommendation

Craig Whitmore lennon at orcon.net.nz
Tue Nov 13 06:41:53 GMT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kenneth Dixon" <ken.dixon at clear.net.nz>
To: <mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 6:21 PM
Subject: [mythtvnz] HD DVB-T tuner card recommendation

> Can anyone recommend a good HD(720p/1080i) PCI DVB-T tuner
> card?
> I have had good luck with Hauppauge cards (pvr250 and
> WinTV-NOVA-S) so far, have been eying up the WinTV-HVR-4000,
> but it is not vary clear as to whether it can handle HD
> DVB-T.
> There is the NOVA-T 500 with dual hd/sd tuner, but it
> doesn't seem to be available in NZ.
> Any suggestions for a good, Linux compatible card?

The HVR 4000 should be able to handle SD/HD stuff.. the only difference in
the resolution really between SD and HD stuff. (So use more bandwidth) As
they are not broadcasting DVB-T in Auckland. I have no way (yet) to test.

Linux Support.. Well there are 2 Cards.. the HVR3000 and HVR4000 cards. and
at the moment DVB-S and Analog Work fine. DVB-T works.. but you have to
disable DVB-S support. but I am working on this week to get both going
(drivers need a patch to you get 2 frontends for the Card - DVB-T and
DVB-S). The HVR-3000 drivers already have this and the writer never got
around to get it for the HVR4000

The Difference between the HVR3000 and HVR4000. Nothing really, except the
Support for DVB-S2 in the HVR 4000 but there is nothing in NZ which supports
this. and there is about at $30 difference wholesale between the 2 cards in
price.

Thanks