[mythtvnz] Freeview Radio

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Tue Nov 6 03:42:28 GMT 2007

On Tue, November 6, 2007 2:01 pm, Nick Rout wrote:
> On 11/2/07, Dean Pemberton <dean at deanpemberton.com> wrote:
>>
>> Nope - but it's not just you.
>>
>> I get the same thing.
>>
>> Sometimes if I wait a while I can get VERY choppy sound coming through..
>>

>> Dean
>

> Something is weird here. I now have the backend/frontend combination as
> well
> as a new frontend on knoppmyth r5f27. I also have a frontend on my desktop
> which is whatever was available on gentoo at the time of compiling it (
> 0.20-something).
>
> The BE/FE combo is attached to the main TV and sound system, and I can't
> hear anything from the radio stations.
>
> The FE's can both hear the freeview stations, streamed from the BE/FE
> computer.
>
> The major difference soundwise is that the BE/FE combo has SPDIF out,
> which
> plays every TV channel and video file, but I am guessing it somehow
> doesn't
> like the audio from National Radio/Concert Programme.
>
> The same can be said about playing recorded radio programmes, although
> they
> WILL play via mplayer on the BE/FE combo using spdif out.

Sky's versions of the radio channels use 32KHz Audio which a lot of amps
don't support over SPDIF. I have the same problem.

The freeview versions of National and Concert should work though.

There are a couple of threads on DVB-S radio issues. Generally I find live
radio is choppy, but recorded radio is fine.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz
sales   - sales at openmedia.co.nz