[mythtvnz] Timesync via Sat.

Nick Rout mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 09:36:37 +1200 (NZST)

On Fri, June 1, 2007 8:56 am, Noel & Di wrote:

> Andrew Ruthven wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 04:35 +1200, Noel & Di wrote:
>>

>>>I am struggling to get my crontab entry to work
>>>After creating  a crontab.txt file of
>>>0 * * * * /usr/bin/dvbdate --set
>>>and invoking
>>>crontab crontab.txt
>>>I get a message "unable to set time: Operation not permitted.
>>>What am I doing wrong??
>>>

>>Slightly silly question perhaps, but is this in roots crontab?
>>If you are, can you run `dvbdate --set` from the command line as root
>>okay?
>>
>>Cheers!
>>

> The -- force option works!!
> Thanks for that.

If it needs --force every time then your system time is drifting more tha=
1800 secs (30 mins) between settings, which means something is seriously
wrong.

One thing is that your clock might not be getting set right on
shutdown/startup. The mechanism for saving the system clock into the
hardware clock correctly (so that the hardware clock correctly sets the
system clock) varies per distro, but it is pretty important to get it
right.

On a system that runs solely on linux (and I'm guessing no one is running
mythtv dual boot with windows) it is easiest to set the hardware clock to
UTC (GMT). The system clock runs on UTC anyway, and the translation to
your local timezone is done via /etc/localtime, or the TZ environment
variable.

But anyway, enough detail, if you need --force each time you update,
something is wrong!

--=20
Nick Rout