[mythtvnz] RG6 cable and mains power cable fed through same junction box - interference likely?

Andrew Ruthven mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 21 May 2007 09:22:52 +1200

--=-KMu7wjdBvtE8iCIVR//u

On Sat, 2007-05-19 at 10:42 +1200, yuri wrote:
> What Noel said!
> The wiring rules (AS/NZS 3000:2000) don't allow these fittings in the
> same flush box unless the RG6 is insulated for 230V.
>=20
> The interference would be minimal. The shock hazard would be small but
> not small enough to satisfy electrical regulations.
>=20
> Bottom line - you just can't legally do it, even if it wouldn't really
> be a problem.

Does anyone know what the situation is if I want to run RG6 about 5m in
the same bit of conduit as 230V wiring?

The previous owners of my house ran two bits of conduit from the house
to the garage, one has 230V and a phone wire and the other has a water
pipe in it.

Guess, where the MythTV backend is supposed to go?  It'll involve a run
of RG6 and some network cable out to the garage.

I intend on using the old phone wire as a draw string to pull through a
couple of runs of shielded Cat5e, 2x RG6 and maybe some fibre.  A nice
side effect of using the shielded Cat5e for a new phone line is it
should get rid of the horrible hum on the phone...

But I'm still concerned that there might be too much interference on the
RG6.  This'll be carrying both satellite and antenna signals.  Any
ideas?

Oh, and I'm still tempted to put in a run of balanced audio as well...

Cheers!

--=20
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
At home: andrew@etc.gen.nz       |  This space intentionally