[mythtvnz] Fw: Computerworld > DRM: coming to you soon, via Freeview

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 17 May 2007 21:31:54 +1200

Nathan Cook wrote:
> Seems pointless as far as I'm concerned to limit HD to HDCP compliant
> devices, I like the comment here:
> Commercial pirates will simply continue to use older equipment, says
> digital rights organisation the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
>
> Although not quite true as most of the shows that you can download
> from the internet are in HD and some with 5.1 sound as well, and they
> all come from satellite with HDCP, just another waste of money as far
> as I'm concerned, money that would be better spent on getting better
> shows to NZ.

HDCP is between the STB and the TV. Hence if your STB (like MythTV)
doesn't support HDCP then you won't have any issues.

This will only be a problem if they require "official" STBs to support
an encryption key, otherwise they can't prevent grey import STBs with HD
but no HDCP from appearing.

Steve

--
Steven Ellis - Technical Director