[mythtvnz] New MythTV user

Hadley Rich mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 14 May 2007 16:04:31 +1200

On Mon, 14 May 2007 15:46:47 Ed Haszard Morris wrote:
> Hi, I've just discovered this mailing list, nice to know there are others
> doing the MythTV thing in NZ.  The join email said to introduce meself, so
> here it is.

Hi :)

> I set mine up a couple of weeks ago - it's been far easier than I thought,
> but I haven't yet had the spare time to sort out the niggles.
>
> The main things to do are:
>
> (1) get the tv-out (s-video) working on the ATI Radeon 9500 video card.
> I've drawn a blank so far on this one and am close to replacing it with an
> NVidia-based card, as this seems to be easier.  Can anyone convince me one
> way or the other?

Nvidia usually just works. I'd recommend it.

> (2) Get the EPG working properly.  At the moment I'm manually running
> xmlTVNZ (using mono), then manually updating MythTV every once in a while.
> As it's still a test box and isn't being used to watch TV yet this isn't so
> bad, but I need to automate it.  My intention is to script the current
> process so it's done overnight (I'm a relative Linux newbie too, but I'm
> sure I can manage this).  If there are better EPGs out there that I should
> be using, let me know.

I don't know what the data is like from xmlTVNZ, there is also the hairy/nice
data feeds which are generated using epgsnoop from the Sky data via DVB-S.
The hairy data feed is the original but has been having issues lately, so
some people are using the stuff hosted at nice.

Whatever you use, you'd want to setup a cron job to get the listings (look
into wget for downloading if you need to) and then use mythfilldatabase to
import them something like so;

mythfilldatabase --no-delete --file 1 -1 /tmp/listings.xml

where 1 is the ID of your card in mythtv.

> (3) Get some sort of remote up and going.  I mistakenly bought an OEM
> PVR-150 with no remote, so don't have anything to work with at the moment.
> Any suggestions welcome.

The Microsoft MCE remotes are pretty good, I use a few of them. About $70 or
something.

> Once these are sorted I'll look at getting a second capture card, perhaps a
> DVB-S, but that's not too important right now.
>
> Oh, I'm running Fedora FC6, and have followed Jarod's excellent guide at
> http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ed.

hads