[mythtvnz] With a Skystar2 card is a Hauppauge PVR (or similar) card still necessary?

Nick Rout mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sat, 12 May 2007 18:32:28 +1200 (NZST)

On Sat, May 12, 2007 4:20 pm, Matt Poff wrote:
> About to kit my system with tuners and have some confusion about the
> capabilities of the Skystar 2 card against the PVR cards. I've more or
> less decided to go the DVB-S route but would like the system to be
> capable of time-shifted recording. Is one Skystar all I need? If I want
> to capture additional simultaneous broadcasts available via DVB-S I nee=
> an additional Skystar for each right? At least until multiplexing is
> supported in MythTV.
>
> This considered is there any use/advantage in having a PVR card as well
> other than for capture of channels not available via satellite.

you only need the pvr card if you want to capture (watch or record)
terrestrial analogue TV.The PVR encodes (in hardware) the analogue signal
to mpeg2 format and puts it on the hard drive.

The Skystar 2 will allow you to watch and record unencrypted channels off
any satellite your dish can receive. They are received off the satellite
in mpeg2 format, so in that case myth is just dumping it to the hard
drive.

You need one skystar per viewing or recording. i.e if you want to be able
to record two channels simultaneously you need 2 skystars. Watching in
mythtv is the equivalent of recording anyway (the channel is
simultaneously recorded and played back.)

The inability to record more than one programme off dvb is in fact a majo=
fault of mythtv at present, other software can record two or more channel=
at once. Notably webscheduler (windows). I am not sure whether VDR (linux=
)
can do so. I intend to find out.