[mythtvnz] TVNZ News channel to be encrypted

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 8 May 2007 15:32:49 +1200 (NZST)

On Tue, May 8, 2007 2:59 pm, Nick Rout wrote:

> On Tue, May 8, 2007 1:28 pm, Craig Whitmore wrote:
>>>
>>> "Also on a technical point, TVNZ communications director Peter
>>> Parussini points out he was incorrect telling this column last week
>>> that the two new TVNZ Freeview channels will be encrypted so they
>>> cannot be picked up by Sky.
>>
>> Talking about encrypted channels.. Can linux be used to decrypt any of
>> the
>> channels out there? I know what SKY UHF can easily be decrytped, but S=
ky
>> Sat
>> and other encryted data? Can i get a card reader for linux so I can pu=
>> my
>> Sky Card in it for example and then see Sky on MythTV or alike?
>
> This email list is not for the promulgation of illegal cracks for Sky.
> However it seems very difficult to crack videoguard, as you will see fr=
om
> the wikipedia entry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videoguard

You forgot to mention that Sky UHF still uses outdated
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VideoCrypt

> And we don't really need a discussion on whether such cracks are or are
> not illegal, given that you may have and pay for a Sky card. We don't w=
ant
> Sky on our tails.
>

>> Any links or alike ppl can give me?
>>
>> Also.. Are there any 3rd party Boxes I can put my Sky card in so I don=
't
>> have to pay the huge amount to rent the MySky Box
>>

> See above.

One of the biggest questions from potential customers is how can myPVR do
two Sky Channels like MySky.. Ho hum..

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven@openmedia.co.nz