[mythtvnz] Setting up for freeview - idiot's guide please

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 1 May 2007 14:34:47 +1200 (NZST)

On Tue, May 1, 2007 2:17 pm, Nick Rout wrote:
> I am in Lyttelton and have Sky digital. I am not sure how long we have =
had
> it but the dish (and LNB) are at least 5 years old, if not 8.
>
> I have a SkyStar II PCI DVB-S card that currently sits in a linux (but =
not
> mythtv) box.
>
> The connection is:
>
> dish<-->splitter<--power passthru--> Sky Box
>              --------- no passthru-->skystar
>
> At present I seem to be able to get (via dvbstream) TV1 & TV2 on a
> vertical pol at 12671 on pids 1004/1104 (TV1) and 1005/1105 (TV2). I
> haven't really looked for more since D1 went on line, i used to be able=
> get Maori, TVNZ wide etc etc.
>
> I also have a splitter that is capable of passing power on all three
> splits, but it isn't in the loom yet. Eventually I would like two
> skystars.
>
> So what do I need to do?
>
> I think I need two LNB's unless either Sky or Freeview switch polarity.
>
> If so, what is the easiest/cheapest way to get another LNB?
>
> Does it require another cable?
>
> Anything else I need  to know?

Ok here we go

1. you don't need an all power pass splitter with a dual LNB

2. At the moment you can get Maori off VPol as well
(http://lyngsat.com/optusd1.html - 12608V).

3. For H + V you need a dual output LNB. Contact Lars at
freeviewshop.co.nz as he stocks them. You then can split that across two
cards running HPOL, and use the other output for SKy. This will need a
second cable

I'd recommend sticking with the same cards. I've tested two cards with a
dual output LNB and a single port power pass splitter.

 Dual<-----------------------------> Sky Box
  LNB<-->splitter<--power passthru--> SkyStar (Always on)

              --------- no passthru-->skystar (Open on demand)

Just make sure the power pass SkyStar is always on.

The OpenMedia guide to setting up freeview should be up this weekend :)

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven@openmedia.co.nz
sales   - sales@openmedia.co.nz