[mythtvnz] Skystar2/Freeview Idiot questions

David Zanetti mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 12:37:22 +1200

--=-rIM1x5TYnqsNwZNXiKpe

On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 10:54 +1200, Graeme Woollett wrote:
> I'm pondering buying a skystar2 DVB-S card but have some questions-
> 1. When is freeview intending to start broadcasting HDTV via Optus D1?

Probably never via D1, since it would gobble up their available
bandwidth with DVB-S. DVB-S2 might change that, but I don't believe it's
expected to be available on the D1 platform.

> 2. Will the skystar2 be compatible with it?

The shipping Skystar2's do not do DVB-S2. If Freeview was to do HD over
DVB-S, then in theory yes, they are.

> 3. If no to q2 is there a better linux compatible card out there?

There are DVB-S2 cards around, but I gather none are fully functional
yet.

DVB-T cards capable of doing HD (which is where Freeview will be doing
HD for the forseeable future) exist and are supported.

> 4. Does the broadcast come encoded in MPEG2/4 or does the card do that?

Broadcast is encoded in MPEG-2/MPEG-4, the card is merely performing
tuning, in some cases splitting the data, and pushing it over a PCI bus.
This is true for all DVB cards.

> 5. If there is known time frame for the mythtv developers implementing=20
> concurrent channel recording from 1 skystar2 card?

It's been talked about a lot, but as noted by others, the channels are
not always on the same transponders as each other.

Long term you might want to think about more than one card, perhaps even
one of the DVB-S/DVB-T combo cards.

--=20
David Zanetti <dave2@wetstring.net>
http://hairy.geek.nz/