[mythtvnz] Skystar2/Freeview Idiot questions

Alan Walls mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:42:08 +1200

Regarding question 5, remember freeview has two transponders so you may
want two cards anyway.  For example, one card will not be able to record
both TV3 and TV2.

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtvnz-admin@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
[mailto:mythtvnz-admin@lists.linuxnut.co.nz] On Behalf Of Steven Ellis
Sent: Wednesday, 27 June 2007 11:33 a.m.
To: mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] Skystar2/Freeview Idiot questions

Graeme Woollett wrote:
> I'm pondering buying a skystar2 DVB-S card but have some questions- 1.

> When is freeview intending to start broadcasting HDTV via Optus D1?
They aren't at this stage. If they do it might when Optus D2 or D3 is
up. They are waiting to see what Sky do
> 2. Will the skystar2 be compatible with it?
No. HD will probably use DVB-S2 on satellite
> 3. If no to q2 is there a better linux compatible card out there?
No. SkyStar2 is about the best. The Hauppauge HVR4000 supports DVB-S2
but the driver isn't as stable yet
> 4. Does the broadcast come encoded in MPEG2/4 or does the card do
that?
Broadcast is MPEG2 at present. Terrestrial will be MPEG4
> 5. If there is known time frame for the mythtv developers implementing

> concurrent channel recording from 1 skystar2 card?
It's in development now. Hopefully complete by year end

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven@openmedia.co.nz
sales   - sales@openmedia.co.nz