[mythtvnz] Skystar2/Freeview Idiot questions

Nick Rout mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:41:40 +1200 (NZST)

On Wed, June 27, 2007 10:54 am, Graeme Woollett wrote:
> I'm pondering buying a skystar2 DVB-S card but have some questions-
> 1. When is freeview intending to start broadcasting HDTV via Optus D1?

AFAIK never, HD on DVB-T only

> 2. Will the skystar2 be compatible with it?

See above

> 3. If no to q2 is there a better linux compatible card out there?

Probably irrelevant given the answer to 1, but AFAIK in situations where
HD is broadcast on DVB-S it is done using a newer standard DVB-S2 which
can make use of AVC/H.264 encoded material.

> 4. Does the broadcast come encoded in MPEG2/4 or does the card do that?

DVB-S is broadcast in mpeg2.

> 5. If there is known time frame for the mythtv developers implementing
> concurrent channel recording from 1 skystar2 card?

Not last time I looked. VDR will do it though.

> Thanks for your help.

--=20
Nick Rout