[mythtvnz] PVR 150 recording volume

Nick Rout mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:53:46 +1200 (NZST)

Skystar 2 available for $145 on trademe from a reputable supplier, plus P=
&P.

Plugging an analogue card into a freeview STB will get you an inferior
picture when compared to a direct digital path achieved via a DVBS card.

Look at it this way:

dvb-s->freeview box->PVR150->hard drive->video card->TV
digital->analogue->digital->analogue

dvbs->skystar->hard drive->video card->TV
digital->digital->digital->analogue

Cut out the middle man!

Some of the pictures I have seen of freeview in the shops have been awful=
..
DSE in Colombo St ChCh have  freeview box plugged into a 42 inch Acer LCD
TV and it wasn't anything to write home about. It was unclear to me what
input on the TV they were using, it appeared it may have been the
component.

A lot is dependent on what bitrate the TV station broadcasts at. If you
talk to anyone in the UK about digital TV you wil realise that their
freeview stations are highly variable in terms of the quality of
broadcast, with varying frame sizes and bit rates.

At the price of a computer (say $300 plus honking great hard drive) plus =
skystar card, you get a very capable PVR, compared to the $300 for a
freeview box, which doesn't allow you to record anything.