[mythtvnz] TVNZ imaginatively names new channels

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 17:05:56 +1200 (NZST)

On Wed, June 13, 2007 3:31 pm, Nick Rout wrote:

> On Wed, June 13, 2007 3:12 pm, Steven Ellis wrote:

>>> I think it reflect that the market here hasn't matured enough to get
>>> away from a single numbersapce (eg, like the UK with BBC1-4 and ITV1-=
3
>>> etc), so they can't be seen to stomp on TV3 which all the Freeview
>>> lovin' by calling them TVNZ3 and TVNZ4.
>>>
>>> Even tho it makes more sense.
>>>
>>> And didn't stop Sky for Sky1.
>>>
>>> But anyway :)
>>
>> Interesting that Freeview IDs 1-7 are now allocated. Where will Prime =
go
>> when they launch on Terrestrial next year :)
>>
>> I'm sure Canwest will want one of 8 or 9.
>
> Weren't there going to originally be 18 channels reserved? I guess some=
one
> has to be No. 18 :-)

There is current capability for upto 18 full time channels on DVB-S, but
there can end up being lots of "virtual" channels like the UK. One
multiplex slot might handle 2-3 channels, with different ones active at
different times.

Freeview have a document on channel allocations at
http://freeviewnz.tv/images/freeview_service_provider_code_of_practice.pd=

A) 1-19
 i) Existing near-national analogue television services, and/or
 ii) New digital-only services of mass market appeal Broadcasting at leas=
in primetime and seven days per week.
B) 20-29
 i) Spill-over from A) above, and/or
 ii) Niche market or genre specific television services
 iii) Itinerant (Event based) services which are broadcast for a fixed pe=
riod
C) 30-49
 i) Spill-over from B) above, and/or
 ii) Region specific (local) television services
D) 50-69
 i) Mass market radio entertainment or factual services
E) 70-79
 i) Spill-over from D) above, and/or
 ii) Niche market or genre specific radio services
F) 80-99
 i) Data Services (including interactive services) for which video and/or
audio is secondary to the primary nature of the service.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven@openmedia.co.nz
sales   - sales@openmedia.co.nz