[mythtvnz] Suggestions for a MythTV Box

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 15:55:06 +1200 (NZST)

On Fri, June 1, 2007 3:42 pm, Andrew Ruthven wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 15:17 +1200, Criggie wrote:
>> Andrew Ruthven wrote:
>> > 100GB will record about 45 hours of footage with my current settings=
..

>> Yes - will DVB use disk space faster or slower than an analogue
>> recording?
>
> I'm storing them as MPEG2, but at a lower resolution, so DVB (also
> MPEG2) will probably consume the space faster.

I'm finding customers are wanting 400Gb or more.

If you have a large widescreen you will want to record off a Hauppauge PV=
card at around 6Mbit or it is too blocky. That means around 3Gb/Hr

DVB is around 2Gb/Hr for TVNZ and 3Gb/Hr for CanWest at the moment.

I've had customer ask how they can increase the quality of the Canwest
recordings as they still aren't good enough on 50" screens. Roll on H264
HDTV.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven@openmedia.co.nz