[mythtvnz] Broadcast audio - stereo/mono etc.

David Zanetti mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 25 Jul 2007 22:40:45 +1200

--=-N/7AtEvdNxUyZLd7rMXN

On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 14:01 +1200, Hadley Rich wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone knows about the stereo-ness of the broadcasts in =
NZ? I=20
> thought I'd incorporate the info into epgsnoop if I can.

Everything is sent stereo (192k MPEG-1 Layer II audio even) over DVB. I
assume they're mixing any mono sources into stereo feeds.

Terestrially they seem to do the same, NICAM feeds are always stereo
(and never binaural or mono-but-NICAM).

So content wise, no idea. Isn't well advertised what is stereo and what
isn't at times it seems.

> I haven't seen any info in the DVB stream, not that that means it isn't t=
here.

Haven't seen that either.=20

One does hope, if by some miracle someone works out AC3 broadcasts are
not a dirty word, they will start to mark mono/stereo/5.1 content in the
EIT at least.

--=20
David Zanetti <dave2@wetstring.net>
http://hairy.geek.nz/