[mythtvnz] Recording Live Earth for 22 hours

Nick Rout mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 09 Jul 2007 20:48:33 +1200

Steven Ellis wrote:
> Jason Haar wrote:

>>> got it all in widescreen c/o C4 on freeview - 66Gb
>>>
>>> -rw-r--r--  1 mythtv mythtv 70117805588 Jul  8 18:07 4921_20070707194700.mpg
>>>

>> Hmmm, so PAL is 47GBytes and widescreen is 65GBytes... Is "widescreen"
>> HD? If so, doesn't that mean there must be massive "compression" (i.e.
>> loss) for the two to be so relatively similar in size?
>>

> It all depends on bitrates.
>
> At the moment the widescreen anamorphic DVB-S signal from C4 is around
> 6Mbit which equals around 3Gb/hr
>
> For a normal Hauppauge PVR card people would use between 3 and 6 Mbit,
> and the quality wouldn't be close to that of the digital signal.

Not to mention the fact that the PVR signal has been though a
digital-analogue conversion and back again.

The short answer is, no the freeview signal is not HD, and probably
won't be off satellite, but may be so off terrestial (which as a person
who cannot get any terrestial TV pisses me right off!)