[mythtvnz] KnoppMyth R5E50 on Shuttle ST61G4 - TV out problems

David Nock mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 21:20:50 +1300

Steve Hodge wrote:
> On 1/16/07, *David Nock* <nockdg@es.co.nz <mailto:nockdg@es.co.nz>> wrote:
>
>     Steve Hodge wrote:
>      > On 1/16/07, *David Nock* <nockdg@es.co.nz
>     <mailto:nockdg@es.co.nz> <mailto:nockdg@es.co.nz
>     <mailto:nockdg@es.co.nz>>> wrote:
>      >
>      >     However it is black and white, and if I switch to a console
>     it is quite
>      >     jittery. Oh well, will install the NVidia drivers and see how
>     it looks.
>      >
>      >
>      > How are you connecting the box to the TV? One way to get a black and
>      > white picture (IIRC) is to get the SVideo/Composite setting wrong
>     for
>      > the connection you are using.
>      >

>     Hi Steve,
>
>     Currently it is connected via the Composite connector.
>
>     Ok, now to ask the stupid question - where is the SVideo/Composite
>     setting that I should check?
>

> In the config file for X. On my Gentoo system it's /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
>
> Look for the line with 'Option "TVOutFormat"', it should be Device
> section for the video card.
>

>     BTW, when the machine first boots, the Energy Saver logo appears in
>     colour. It is only when it starts X that it is B/W.
>

> That means it's definitely not a hardware issue.
>
> I suppose another possibility could be the mode that X is using. A good
> place to start when looking at X configuration issues is the log:
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log on my system.

I didn't have a line in my xorg.conf with TVOutFormat so I added that
and some other related lines (found via googling for TVOutFormat) and
now everything looks fantastic. :-)

Thanks
Dave