[mythtvnz] Setup query

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 00:12:42 +1300

Neil Henwood wrote:
> Karl Leaning wrote:
>> I am in the throws of getting a system together with the primary purpose
>> of running MythTV, and I would like to know if the box can be used also
>> as a samba file server for a couple of windows PCs. I currently have a
>> 2.4GHz Pentium 4 box which is used for file serving and a couple of
>> firebird sql databases. I can't recall every seeing this peak above 5%
>> utilisation! The holder of the purse strings would like to reduce the
>> number of computers, thus the desire to have the MythTV box also act as
>> a server.
>>
>> The (new) MythTV box is to use a Athlon64 4200+x2 (one of the nice new
>> 65W versions) with 1GB ram.

> That'll be sweet running what you want.
> My Backend is a Duron 900 Processor,  512mb Ram, several HDD, a
> PVR150, PVR300, Sat card (Which I will have to get off my but and get
> working), Samba, Apache, Gallery2, Squid, Bind, Sendmail, Procmail,
> Spamassasin, (Got to look into ClamAV as well) & I plan on getting
> LTSP running for that Diskless Frontend ;) Only time I notice major
> processor usage, is comflag, and Spamassassin doing there thing. I
> suppose I could do with a  touch more ram though, might help Squid &
> Apache responses.
> Your 2.4Ghz will run sweet.
You have to watch how well some mythtv components scale to the processor
level.

myPVR 1.0 had a 3000+ or 3200+ processor and mythcomflag  could hit the
CPU so hard it would affect watching off recorded content if you were
recording off two tuners before we got everything balanced.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven@openmedia.co.nz
sales   - sales@openmedia.co.nz