[mythtvnz] mythtv and sky uhf

Criggie mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 08:46:54 +1300 (NZDT)

Neil Henwood wrote:
> As it happens, I am thinking about setting up VMware on my Myth box so
> that I can install M$ to "Test" (The length of the Super 14 _should_ be
> enough) the possibility of using the hvc application to decode the UHF
> signal, then feed the video output back into a myth tuner for recording
> as normal. Unless I can get hvc to output a mpg file, I believe that I
> will have to use 2 tv tuners and the video card looped together to get
> it to work though. (Makes available PCI slots a premium.) Will have to
> also look into using VNC to control the virtual machines running these
> operating systems for channel changing etc...
> At this stage, I have not got past the thinking stage, and downloading
> VMware, as I will need to get a new capture card, with the correct
> chipset. I'll also need to get a better box to run it all on, as I think
> that my Duron 800 that I use as a dedicated backend (among other things)
> now wont cope running hvc & windows on top of it.

You're completely barking up the wrong tree here.

VMware presents all its guest machines with a specific set of virtualised
hardware, so no matter what NICs you have, guests will see an AMD PCnet,
and a virtual BX chipset etc.

You cannot give a virtual machine a physical PCI card in the host
machine... the closest things would be using a USB tuner because some USB
devices can be allocated to a guest machine.

A duron 800 might be a bit on the lightweight as a dedicated vmware host.
I have a celeron 1200 with 1 Gb ram which is fine.  Its the memory more
than the CPU.  That said, vmware is the dogs balls, and any self
respecting geek should get some experience with virtualisation.  I suggest
the free vmware-server (formally known as GSX server which was a
commercial product)

--
Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/