[mythtvnz] Re: Re: Best type of splitter for Sky + MythTV DVB-S

Daniel Williams mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:22:49 +1300

>>Interesting reading. Have a feeling that Dan's LNB is slightly offset to
>> allow for V + H in that the V signal is still visible enough when he is
>> on HPol.

>I was thinking that might be the case with mine. And it looks like the LNB
>might be aligned at a 45 degree angle. But then I should be able to tune any
>frequency on either polarity, right? I can't - I can only receive the 12671
>multiplex on V, for example. So I'm somewhat mystified as to how it works...

Ok, after all the queries.. here's as much info as I can think to provide to help out those trying to get stuff to work.

LNB:  Sharp BS1D1AQ112A  Dual Horn  LO 10.75.  The are fixed together, and the whole lnb setup seems to be on a 15-20 degree angle.  The label side is up.   I have no idea how to check whether an individual LNB is skewed. (And yes I even went on to the roof to find the info!!)

Sky Box:  Motorola DTH335-4.  Tuned to Optus B1-T5L according to the sky box.
          LNB Setup:
             LNB Power Supply: Off. I turned this off due to other concerns about frying the skystar card posted by others - Did work with it turned on as well.
	     22kHz Tone: Satellite/LNB Switching
	     Low Band: 10750Mhz
	     High Band: Custom - 10750 / Normal Ku Band
	     22kHz Tone Orbital Position:  156E - Optus D2

Mythbox:
	DVB Card:  Skystar 2
	Cardtype - DVB DTV Capture Card v3.x  Signal Timeout 60000, Tuning Timeout 62500

	Diseqc Options:
		LNB Preset:  Custom
		    Type: Universal (Voltage + Tone)
		    LNB LOF Switch 22500
		    LOF Low: 10750
		    LOF High: 10750

	The source for the card is set to use no grabber (and all the channels have EIT turned off).  I populate listings from running a modified tv_grab_dvb (fixes a few little issues that annoy me).

	Transport:
		Standard: DVB
		Frequency: 12483000
		Symbol Rate: 22500000
		Inversion: Auto
		FEC: 3/4
		Polarity: Horizontal

	I did actually change the polarity via mysql, rather then through mythsetup, don't think it would have any effect.

I have noticed that when the skystar 2 tunes, signal strength drops from near 100% to about 65% on the sky box, so it may be some weird thing in my lnb that just enough signal gets through, even though the polarity is wrong.

As I said in my original email - Your Mileage May Vary, so good luck to those trying.

Daniel